American Rescue Plan Special Circumstance Guidance
Students with documented Special Circumstances that negatively affect you/your family’s financial situation could be eligible for additional financial aid. For example, because of COVID-19 some employers have shut down, reduced work hours, furloughed employees and others may not have been able to work due to illness. Your campus financial aid office may be able to review your special circumstances to adjust the amount of financial aid you receive or would have received.
If your family has experienced a change in income due to unusual, special circumstances, your campus financial aid office has Professional Judgment and U.S. Department of Education guided flexibility to re-evaluate your situation for the following reasons:
- Loss of job or permanent/indefinite reduction of work hours
- Separation or divorce
- Personal bankruptcy that occurs during the current financial aid year
- Death of a member of your immediate family
- Reduction/loss of child support
- High non-reimbursable medical expenses (not covered by insurance)
- Your parents took money out of their pension/retirement plan as a one time payment to help cover expenses.
- Other documented special circumstances outside of the student's control that impacted income
If you would like to apply for an American Rescue Act Special Circumstance, complete the
Special Circumstance Eligibility Form
Visit the Financial Aid office:
The Commons Building at SUNY CCC