Community Engagement: Education, Social Services, Law Enforcement

Ready to Get Focused?
Create Your CustomViewbook

Sample Careers
Police Officer What you'll do: A police officer is usually assigned to a specific patrol area where they would be responsible to enforce the law, look for suspicious activity and may even search and/or arrest suspected criminals. They respond to emergencies, enforce traffic laws and would investigate complaints. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: Criminal Justice A.A.S. 
Soil and Water Conservationists  What you'll do: Soil and water conservationists inspect the conditions of natural environments, develop plans to manage natural or renewable resources, and advise others about management or conservation. They implement soil or water management techniques, such as nutrient management, erosion control, and buffers. Soil and water conservationists also develop and maintain working relationships with local government and board members. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: Environmental Science A.S. 
Social Worker  What you'll do: Social workers help people solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives. Clinical social workers also diagnose and treat mental, behavioral, and emotional issues. Social workers typically do the following: Identify people and communities in need of help, assess clients’ needs, situations, strengths, and support networks to determine their goals, help clients adjust to changes and challenges in their lives, such as illness, divorce, or unemployment, research, refer, and advocate for community resources, such as food stamps, childcare, and healthcare to assist and improve a client’s well-being, respond to crisis situations such as child abuse and mental health emergencies, follow up with clients to ensure that their situations have improved, maintain case files and records, develop and evaluate programs and services to ensure that basic client needs are met, and provide psychotherapy services. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: Human Services A.S. 
Chemical Dependency Counselor What you'll do: Chemical Dependency Counselors help clients understand their chemical addiction (e.g. drugs, alcohol etc.), identify the root causes and triggers, and develop a plan to deal with these issues. Counseling in this area has patients consider how their addiction is effecting themselves and those close to them. A key part of working in this area is viewing chemical dependency as a chronic medical condition, a main focus is looking for ways to break the addiction cycle and provide support when that happens. as well as providing referrals and information about other useful services for rehabilitation (e.g. mental health services if appropriate). Working within this area requires acute awareness of the physiological as well as the psychological aspects of addiction alongside the challenges of withdrawal in both of these spaces. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: Chemical Dependency Counseling A.A.S. 
Pre-School Teachers  What you'll do: Pre-school teachers educate and care for children younger than the age of 5 who have not yet entered kindergarten. They teach language, motor, and social skills to young children. Pre-school teachers typically work in public and private schools or childcare centers. Start at SUNY CCC with this Micro-credential: Childhood Development Associate Prep. Micro-credential. Questions? Ask Julie Dick
Childcare Center Directors  What you'll do: Childcare center directors supervise their staff, design programs, oversee daily activities, and prepare budget guidelines. They are responsible for supervising preschool teachers and childcare workers, hiring new staff members, and meeting with parents to discuss students’ progress. Childcare center directors will spend their day in the office located inside of the center and visiting classrooms to check on students. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: LAS: Childhood Education A.S. Questions? Ask Julie Dick
Elementary Education Teachers What you'll do: An elementary education teacher instructs young students in basic subjects, such as math, reading, and writing in order to prepare them for middle school. Elementary school teachers work in public and private schools. Elementary school teachers must have a bachelor’s degree and a state-issued certification or license. SUNY CCC has special arrangements with Alfred University so students can earn this degree on SUNY CCC's campus from Alfred University. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: LAS: Childhood Education A.S. Questions? Ask Julie Dick
English as a Second Language (ESL) Teachers What you'll do: ESL Teachers instruct students who are native speakers of other languages. They work at the elementary, middle, and high school levels, as well as at the college level. ESL teachers can also work as adult educators. ESL teachers provide English instruction to individuals or in classrooms. They teach basic English skills, including speaking, reading, and writing. To be an ESL teacher you need a bachelor’s degree and often a master’s degree (depending on the state). You also must obtain a state-issued license. Start at SUNY CCC with this program: LAS: Childhood Education A.S. Questions? Ask Julie Dick