Introduction to Watercolor Painting
Instructor: Bridget Bossart van Otterloo
Join us for a relaxing time of watercolor painting. This class will introduce the
watercolors to those who have never used this medium or have been afraid to try it in the
past. Students will learn that as they allow water to be their “friend” magical things can
happen. Basic skills such as creating washes of color, building transparent layers, and how to
use the brush are a few things that will be touched upon. Students will begin class with a
series of watercolor practice exercises. The remainder of the class will be spent creating a
finished painting to take home. As a teacher, my primary concern is that each student is
learning and achieving joy through the creative process.
- Color Theory - primary colors, secondary colors, and how to mix and blend watercolors.
- Basic watercolor painting techniques such as washes, glazes, dry-brush and wet-into-
- Brush handling and material handling, how to set up your painting station for success.
- Artistic composition, how to design an interesting watercolor painting.
- 3-hour course runs from 1 pm – 4pm
- Experience required: None
- All art materials included
Art Materials Provided:
Watercolor palette set up with primary watercolor paint, variety of watercolor brushes in
different shapes and sizes, high quality watercolor paper, drawing paper, pencils and kneaded
Next Class Available:
Saturday - Ocotober 21st, 2023 from 1pm to 4pm
Saturday - February 17th, 2024 from 1pm to 4pm
Classes Held At:
Academic and Workforce Development Center
318 Madison Avenue
Elmira, New York
Cost: $75.00 per session
Bridget's work can be viewed at several venues in the area including: The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes in Corning NY, The North Star Gallery in Ithaca, Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester, Oxford Gallery in Rochester, Gallery 54 in Skaneateles, and The Franklin Street Gallery in Watkins Glen, NY.