Current students can select to use their chosen first name for contact. The chosen name does not change the legal name but is used in place of the legal name on Blackboard and class rosters in MyCCC.
Once approved for chosen name, you rname will appear in the following ways:
- MyCCC login page
- Blackboard in the "you are logged in as" message
- Emails from the College sent to your corning-cc address will use chosen name (please note that if you have a personal email address that is set to receive College communications, the legal name will be used.)
Faculty will see the chosen name when using the following faculty services:
- Class rosters (in Banner)
- MyCCC student information pages and internal directory level information
Students opting to use a chosen name should complete the request form (see the red button below).
Additional steps will need to be made by the student to update other systems such as email. Once a request has been approved, a follow-up email will be sent to the student.
Chosen names can be updated only once per academic year and must be requested by the end of the third week of the semester. Names may not be used for the purposes of misrepresentation. The College reserves the right to remove a chosen name if it contains inappropriate or offensive language.
What is a Chosen Name?
A Chosen Name is the name a student wishes to be known by in the SUNY CCC community that is different from a student’s Legal Name.
What is a legal name?
“Legal Name,” as defined by the Department of Homeland Security for issues relating to driver’s licenses and identification cards, and the name which can be accepted by Federal agencies for official purposes, is the “individual’s first name, middle name(s), and last name or surname, without use of initials or nicknames.” 6 CFR 37.1, 37.3 That name might appear on a passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, U.S. Social Security Card, or an official court order of name change.
Is a chosen name the same as a nickname?
Chosen Name and nicknames are totally different name types at SUNY CCC. Chosen Name is the name you choose to be addressed by while at SUNY CCC by faculty, staff, students and will be used for internal administrative purposes. Nicknames can be used by students as a personal preference but will not be reflected on internal college documents and systems.
Will chosen name be used for communications sent to family?
The SUNY CCC will not use chosen name when sending communications to families or on personal email addresses set to receive College emails. The legal name will be used for financial aid and billing documents as well as College updates and marketing emails to personal email addresses.
Places at SUNY CCC where your legal name will remain:
- Enrollment verifications
- Paychecks and paystubs
- Financial Aid records
- Tax documents
- Student billing
- Conduct records
- Public safety records
- Health records
- Log-in screens at the CCC fitness center and Learning Commons will display a legal name at the point of check-in, but chosen name will be used by staff.
- SUNY CCC PRIDE: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- CCC Diversity Center: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- MyCCC ID card: email@example.com
- Equal Employment and Education Policy: https://myccc.corning-cc.edu/documents/731603/0/EEEO+Policy+2021.pdf/ce541f69-a1eb-4a39-8f2c-737cffe1f112