The Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) programs at CCC enable you to develop your intellectual capacity to the fullest extent, allowing you to explore and fashion an informed understanding and appreciation of your place in a global society. These programs lead to an Associate in Science or an Associate in Arts degree and are intended for students who wish to complete the first two years of a college education and transfer to a baccalaureate-granting institution.
The Liberal Arts and Sciences programs are sometimes referred to as the "pre-professional" programs. They are not intended to be, nor are they promoted as being, terminal degrees directly leading to immediate employment. However, students who have completed the full four-year baccalaureate sequence in several of the many academic majors in the Liberal Arts and Sciences will be prepared for entrance into a wide array of professional occupations, although additional education at the master and doctoral level may be necessary for career advancement.
Although Liberal Arts and Sciences students have the opportunity to select one of four programs tailored to their specific needs, each program requires students to study a similar core discipline including:
- Social Sciences
- Laboratory Science
- The Associate in Arts degree requires foreign language.
- Within each core discipline, students choose a particular interest from a variety of options.
Graduates of the LAS programs will have developed capabilities in:
- academic research and writing
- the ability to apply scientific method
- critical thinking skills to validate their own ideas and inquiries
- sufficient math skills to deal with complex problems
- an awareness and appreciation of living in a culturally, racially, and ethnically diverse society