In an increasingly networked world, the threat to critical infrastructures and personal data is real and pervasive. There is a clear need for skilled professionals to help prevent damaging and costly security breaches. This program places emphasis on the fundamental skills and knowledge required to safeguard an organization’s information and defend systems while preparing students for successful transfer to a 4-year institution to continue their studies in computer and/or network security related field. Entry and continuation in the program requires approval from the program coordinator. Persons with a felony conviction are not guaranteed entry to the program. Applications will be reviewed by a subcommittee prior to approval/refusal, or, if enrolled, continuation in the program.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts, concepts, design principles, policies, laws and threats relating to computer and network security
- Identify and explain the impact of technology on individuals and organizations, including security and ethical issues
- Demonstrate the ability to program effectively and securely
- Configure and administer systems and networks with an understanding of vulnerabilities and defensive techniques utilized to keep data secure
- Communicate effectively with individuals in and outside of the field.