Workforce at Corning Community College will be giving a one-day seminar on Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia Care. Presented by Jennifer McKeown, LMHC, CDP, CADDCT, the seminar will be offered on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Academic and Workforce Development Center (318 Madison Ave., Elmira, N.Y.). To register, visit www.corning-cc.edu/register-non-credit-course. For more information, call 607-936-5501.
This seminar is designed for those currently working in the health care industry or human services field with an interest in learning more about working with individuals who suffer from dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease, and their caregivers. The seminar is also required for individuals interested in achieving the Certified Dementia Practitioner (CDP) Certification. The CDP application will be provided in class, and participants will have 30 days to submit the CDP application to the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners (NCCDP).
Topics covered include the following:
- Introduction to Dementia
- Diagnosis, Prognosis and Treatment
- Communication and Feelings
- Depression and Repetitive Behaviors
- Paranoia, Hallucinations, Wandering and Hoarding
- Aggressive Behaviors, Catastrophic Reactions and Intimacy and Sexuality
- Personal Care Pain and Nutrition
- Staff and Family Support
- Spiritual Care and End of Life
The course is equal to NCCDP 8 CEUs.