Spencer Hill campus

Transitioning from High School to College

There are many differences between the K-12 Special Education system and Post Secondary Accessibility Services for students with disabilities.

Basic differences between Special Education services in high school and Accessibility Services in college

Services are provided under IDEA or Section 504, subpart D Services are provided under Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Section 504 subpart E
Schools are responsible for identifying and evaluating the student.  Students must self-identify and provide appropriate and current documentation of their disability. 
Services provided to ensure success of student. Services provided to ensure equal access. Success is responsibility of the student.
The IEP or 504 plan is mandated and followed. The IEP no longer applies at  the college level. Students receive Accommodation Letters to share with their instructors. 
Special education teachers inform instructors of student needs. Students inform their instructors of their disability and approved accommodations.
Assignments and tests may be modified. Students may not be expected to meet all requirements Assignments and tests are not modified. Students are expected to meet the same requirements for all students.
Graduation requirements may be waived due to disability (such as foreign language requirements). Graduation requirements are rarely, if ever, waived due to a disability. Based on the limitations of the disability, substitutions may be available for certain courses (such as Physical Education courses). 
Special education case manager ensures student uses special education accommodations and services. Students responsible for using their approved accommodations. Students may choose not to disclose their disability or use their accommodations.
Parents are involved in planning. Students determine the amount of parental involvement.

Here are some links that can help explain the process further:

If you are a high school student with a disability and are planning to attend Corning Community College, please contact Accessibility Services. We are here to help!

Phone: 607-962-9262