Disability Services Frequently Asked Questions

These are some of the most frequently asked questions about Disability Services.
Who do I contact to learn more about Disability Services?

Please call us at 607-962-9262 or email us at sds@corning-cc.edu. We can discuss your needs and set up an appointment to have you meet with the Coordinator.

I was in Special Education classes or the Resource Room in high school. Will I automatically receive Disability Services at CCC?

No. Once you graduate high school your high school special education program ends. However, you may still qualify for disability services. Often your services and accommodations differ from high school. Please contact us at 607-962-9262 for more information and to get registered with our department. We recommend that you look at the Transitioning from High School to College page for more information.

I'm not sure if I have a disability, but I am having difficulty in my classes. Can you help me?

We may be able to help you. Please call us at 607-962-9262 to set up an appointment with us. The coordinator will listen to your difficulties and assist you in using our program or other campus and community resources.

I have a disability. Do I need to register with you?

We encourage all students with disabilities to register with Student Disability Services. Even if you feel like you don't need or want our services, it is best to have accommodations in place should you need to use them. Accommodations are not retroactive. However, the decision is yours. While encouraged, students with disabilities are not required to register with Student Disability Services.

What documentation is required to qualify for services?

Students need to provide recent documentation from a qualified professional that shows the presence of a disability, the functional limitations of that disability, and recommendations for accommodations in a college setting. An IEP and 504 Plan, while helpful, are not enough to qualify for services. Please see verification forms below (PDF):

What accommodations are available?

Accommodations are approved on a case by case basis and are designed to address the functional limitations of the disability. Some accommodations that we frequently provide are:

  • Textbooks in alternative format
  • Accommodated seating
  • Extra time for exams
  • Quiet place for exams
  • Assistance with class notes
  • Use of computers for exams
  • Test questions read aloud