Financial Aid Awards and Procedures

The primary obligation for meeting college costs lies with the student and the student’s parents. However, financial aid, through the state and federal government and CCC Scholarships, provides funds to eligible students that can be combined or used separately to help meet the cost of attendance at CCC. While the financial aid process is sometimes complicated, helpful staff are available to assist students and parents with the process.

Types of Aid

Financial assistance falls into three basic groups:

Grants and scholarships: No repayment. Grants based on need. Scholarships based on need and student’s academic performance or special talents.

Loans: Repayment at a specified time. Usually charge low interest.

Employment: (Work-Study) Certain number of hours per week in on- or off-campus work.

Applying for State and Federal Aid

To apply for most state and federal aid programs students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically at Students/parents should first apply for a personal identification number (PIN) at The PIN is used as their electronic signature. CCC’s federal code is 002863; enter this on the FAFSA. Once the FAFSA is processed, students receive a Student Aid Report (SAR).

New York State residents may apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). When completing your FAFSA on the Web, the confirmation page will provide a link to the TAP on the Web application. The CCC school code for NYS is 2042. You may also apply online at once your FAFSA is processed. If you are unable to complete the application electronically, you may request a paper Express TAP Application (ETA) from the CCC Financial Aid Office once your FAFSA is processed.

The Financial Aid Office will receive your FAFSA data electronically from the federal processor. You may be required to submit additional information or documentation to complete your application. If so, we will notify you once your FAFSA is received. Once your application is complete and correct, we will verify your admission status, academic progress and your expected enrollment status to determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will send you an award letter indicating your eligibility and instructions for your next steps to accept/decline your awards.

When to Apply

You must apply for state and federal aid every year. Whether you are a new or continuing student, It is strongly suggested that you complete your FAFSA by April 1 if you will be enrolling in the fall semester and October 1 if you will not enroll until the spring semester of the academic year.

How Eligibility is Determined

You must be officially accepted by the CCC Admissions Office in a degree program. Eligibility for all federal and state aid is awarded for enrollment in courses that are degree/program requirements. Students should review their “degree evaluation” on MyCCC to make certain that the courses they have registered for are degree/program requirements of their current primary program of study. TAP and the Pell Grants are awarded directly by their respective governmental agencies.

Enrollment Status (*hours in program of study)

Award 12 or more hours* 9-11.5 hours* 6-9.5 hours* .5-5.5 hours*
Pell Grant 100% of eligible award 75% of eligible award 50% of eligible award 0-25% of eligible award
TAP 100% 0% 0% 0%
Direct Loan 100% of eligibility 100% of eligibility 100% of eligibility 0%

Campus-based aid and Direct Stafford Loans are awarded on the basis of the student’s financial need (Cost of Education minus Family Contribution equals Financial Need). A student’s financial need is also adjusted for the receipt of private scholarships or grants, and it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Enrollment Advisement Center if they are receiving assistance of this type. Also, benefits received from outside programs such as the Trade Adjustment Act, Workforce Investment Act, ACCESS (VESID), etc will be used in determining a student’s financial need. Federal PLUS (parent loans) are available to assist families to bridge the gap between cost of education and student financial aid eligibility.

High school students who are enrolled at the College while completing requirements for their high school diploma are not eligible for any state or federal aid.

Basic Financial Aid Programs

Pell Grant

Students accepted in a program and enrolled in courses that are degree/program requirements of their primary program of study should apply. Eligibility is determined by family size, income, assets, etc.; continued eligibility is affected by academic progress. Amounts range from approximately $574 to $5,645 per academic year depending on enrollment status. Available to both full- and part-time students. Students may receive an equivalent of 12 full-time semesters of Pell Grant. Complete the FAFSA. Students must also meet College’s and federal financial aid academic progress requirements to be eligible.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

New York State residents who are accepted in a program, enrolled in 12 or more program hours and are in good academic standing should apply for this grant. Usually students are eligible if their family’s state net taxable income is no more than $80,000. For independent students with no dependents, the net taxable income limit is $11,000. Incomes may be higher if more than one family member is in college full-time. Annual awards range from $425 to 100 percent of tuition. Students may use up to six semesters of TAP eligibility to pursue an associate degree. Complete the FAFSA and Express TAP applications.

A student may be eligible to receive TAP for part-time enrollment if they are certified under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). ADA defines a person with a disability as anyone with physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning and working. The disability must be documented with CCC’s Office of Student Disability Services before the student is considered for TAP for part-time enrollment.

Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program

Beginning with the 2006-2007 academic year, New York State residents who were accepted in a program as first-time freshmen, have earned 12 credits or more in each of two consecutive semesters, maintained a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and enrolled between 6 and 11 credit hours in their program of study should apply for this grant. Income guidelines are the same as the Tuition Assistance Program. Awards are based on a prorated schedule through NYSHESC. Complete the FAFSA and the Express TAP application.

Additional Financial Aid Programs

Students who are accepted in a program and have financial need in excess of their Pell and/or TAP awards may be eligible for additional aid. Students must be enrolled in courses that are degree/program requirements of their primary program of study and meet the Colleges and federal financial aid academic progress requirements to be considered. Award amounts vary based on financial need.

Federal College Work-Study (FWS): Jobs for students attending at least 6 credit hours. The total amount depends on need, other aid received, the availability of jobs and the number of hours a student can reasonably be expected to work. Complete the FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): From $300 to $600 per academic year and awarded to the neediest students attending at least 6 credit hours who are also Pell Grant eligible. Complete the FAFSA.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS): This grant is for matriculated part-time students enrolled in at least 3 credit hours; however, priority is given to half-time students. Applicants must be New York State residents and be in good academic standing prior to applying. For dependent students or married students with dependents, the family net taxable income can range up to $50,500. Independent students must have a net taxable income of $34,250 or less. Students are not eligible if they have already used all semesters of TAP eligibility. Remedial courses can be counted toward a student’s part-time load hours if the student is also enrolled in at least three credit hours. Amounts: $485 to $1,000 per semester. APTS applications are available from the Enrollment Advisement Center or on the web at Completed applications are submitted to the Enrollment Advisement Center.

Educational Loans

CCC participates in the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program for students and the Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (Direct PLUS). Funding for your student loan and/or parent loan will come directly from the U.S. Department of Education. Direct Loans may be used for any related educational expense. Students must be accepted in a program and registered for at least 6 credits of degree/program requirements in their primary program of study each semester. Loans are available to students with recognized financial need.

Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized/Unsubsidized): “Subsidized” loans up to $3,500 for freshmen and $4,500 per year for sophomores (26 or more credit hours earned) depending on financial need. Additional “unsubsidized” loan funds may be available up to $2,000 per year for dependent students and $4,000 per year for independent students. Loans are subject to an origination fee. The interest rate is variable for first-time borrowers, and repayment begins six months after leaving school. Minimum annual repayment is $600. Complete the FAFSA. For more information about these programs and to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling for first-time borrowers go to

Repayment Example - 10 years (120 months)

Loan Amount Monthly Payment at 8% interest Total Repaid
$5,000 $61 $7,320
$10,000 $121 $14,520
$15,000 $182 $21,840
$20,000 $243 $29,160

Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (Direct PLUS): Up to total educational expense minus financial aid per academic year on behalf of each dependent undergraduate. Interest rate is variable, and there is an origination fee. Repayment begins 60 days from the receipt of second disbursement of the loan. Complete the FAFSA . More information and to complete a Direct Loan PLUS Promissory Note/Application go to

Scholarships, Awards and Loans

CCC administers a number of scholarships, awards and loan funds provided by the CCC Development Foundation Inc., Office of Institutional Advancement, Alumni Association, academic divisions, as well as community members and organizations. They vary in amount and are based on a variety of factors including high school record, academic record at CCC, academic program and need. Application requirements and deadlines vary. 

Scholarships: These funds are intended for costs associated with attending CCC. They are presented to students currently enrolled at CCC at the annual Scholarship Ceremony in the fall.

Awards: These awards are presented to students graduating from CCC at the annual Awards Luncheon in May.

Loans: Emergency funds are established to provide students with loans for books and other educational needs. Because of the personal nature of loans, the names of recipients are not publicly announced.

For current information about specific scholarships, awards and loans administered by CCC, visit scholarships.

Veterans’ Benefits

In addition to the traditional forms of financial aid, students who are military veterans, members of the Reserves or National Guard may be eligible for education benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The Veteran's Certification Representative at CCC is available to assist you in the application and payment process. The Department of Veterans Affairs provides educational assistance allowance to veterans eligible for:

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Ch. 30) 
  • Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Ch. 1607)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33) - eligible veterans receive housing allowance, book stipend and tuition benefit.
  • Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)

If you are currently active duty you may be eligible for the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance Program. All branches of services have its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions.

Please consult the GI Bill Website ( for application procedures, eligibility requirements, payment rates, and additional information regarding VA benefits. You may also contact Tara Bauman, VA School Certifying Official by phone at 607-962-9433, toll free 800-358-7171, ext. 9433 or email

Disabled Veterans with at least a 20 percent service connected disability may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation. Interested veterans should visit for additional information and application.

Veteran Dependents may be eligible for the following benefits.

Please consult the GI Bill website ( for application procedures, eligibility requirements and payment rates.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement: Veterans may be eligible to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their children and/or spouse.

Post-9/11 GI Bill: Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship: Children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who has died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, are eligible for this benefit. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Ch.35): Spouse/Widow or Child of a veteran who is permanently and*totally disabled or died as a result of a service connected disability may be eligible.

New York State Residents may qualify for the Veterans Tuition Award: Eligible students are those who are New York State residents discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and who are: Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between December 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975. Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990. Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001. Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Amounts: Awards are 100% of tuition. If the veteran also receives TAP, the combination of the two awards cannot exceed tuition. Students should complete the New York State Veterans Tuition Award (VTA) Supplement form, the FAFSA and the Express TAP application. The VTA form is available Additional state aid includes Military Service Recognition Scholarship (Child/Spouse), Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans, Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (Army and Air National Guard, and Naval Militia). For more information regarding eligibility for these programs visit